Friday, July 3, 2020

Batch 238, Basil IPA

Another batch of Basil IPA, like the last one. It seems a little early in the season, but the 5 basil plants I planted this spring are more than big enough to harvest enough leaves for a brew. I picked the leaves this morning as the water was heating up.

10 gallon batch

22 lb 2-row
2 lb biscuit
1 lb special B
1.5 lb white wheat

Mashed in with 8 gallons of 170F water, hit 152F. Adjusted pH to 5.25. Mashed for 60 minutes, 15 minute vorlauf both batches.

1 oz Magnum, FWH
2 oz Chinook, 60 min
2 oz Cascade, 30 min
2 oz Cascade, 15 min
1 cup basil leaves, 15 min
2 tsp Irish Moss, 15 min
1/2 cup basil leaves, 8 min
2 oz Citra, 2 minutes
1 cup basil leaves, 2 minutes

90 minute boil. For measuring the basil leaves, I just used a measuring cup and packed them fairly tight.

Oxygenated, then pitched
Wyeast 1272, American Ale II, new package, 2 quart starter

OG: 1.060, 1.065 actual -- I guess my efficiency is back up since I adjusted the mill
FG: 1.016
IBU: 78
SRM: 8.4
ABV: 6.1

Also did a berry cider:

5 gallon batch

1.5 gallons wort strained from the grain after mashing the beer
11 cans Winco frozen 100% apple juice
Mixed together, then added water to make 4 gallons
Oxygenated, then pitched
1 qt Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

At the end of fermentation, I'll add 4 lbs of frozen mixed berries that have been blended in a food processor plus enough water to make another gallon.