The optimal media for cell growth and health require using a malt based media (DME) fortified with nutrients. Gravity should be kept near 1.040 and cultures should be grown at 70°F.
- 0.5 cup DME (100g, 3.5oz)
- ½ tsp Wyeast Nutrient
- 1qt.(1L) H2O
- Mix DME, nutrient, and water.
- Boil 20 minutes to sterilize.
- Pour into a sanitized flask or jar with loose lid or foil.
- Allow to cool to 70°F.
- Shake well and add yeast culture.
Because starters are inoculated at high cell densities, growth is usually maximized within 24-36 hours. The gravity of the starter should always be checked prior to inoculation into wort to assure proper cell growth . Cultures should be used immediately, or refrigerated for up to 1 week before using. Cell viability will decrease rapidly if culture are left at ambient temperatures for extended time.