Thursday, March 14, 2024

Batch 294, another Belma Summer Ale

 I thought I'd do the same recipe again to help me figure out what I need to do to improve. I discovered a semi-serious issue last time, the gap was too wide on my grain mill. I don't have a feeler gauge handy, so I used a credit card and I thought that the grind might be too fine, but it worked out with no problems. Another issue I discovered this time is the SS braid that I have in the boil kettle is too tight, the wort won't go through it. Good to know.

5 gallon batch, pretty much the same as last time.

12 lb 2-row

5 oz white wheat (I'm out now)

5 oz crystal 60, just to cut down the sweetness and color a bit.

Mash water at 175F got me 150F in the mash tun, so that's okay. No stuck sparge, which I thought might happen. I measured the water carefully, so I did get 6.5 gallons in the boil kettle, and ended up with 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.

Same hops as last time:

2 oz Belma, 60 min

4 oz Belma, 5 min

Yeast from the last batch, about a pint of reasonably thick slurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.