Batch #3, September 26, 2004, a repeat of batch #1 with a bit more hops.
6 3/4 pounds Pilsner extract (bulk)
3 oz Spalt, fresh
1 oz Saaz, pellets
Wyeast 1007, German Ale yeast
The minute timer starts when the water comes to a boil.
Bring water to boil
0:00 Add malt extract
0:10 Add Spalt hops
0:50 Add Saaz hops and 1 tsp Irish moss
1:00 Remove from heat
Bottled October 11, 2004.
I got a hydrometer, so now I can track the percent alcohol in the finished product. This batch ought to be right at 5% alcohol. I also got a spigot and a second bucket for bottling, which is a lot easier than siphoning. I siphoned the beer from the fermenter into the bottling bucket on Oct 8 so it would have some time to settle and hopefully make a clearer beer.
The first couple of bottles didn't have much head (again... :( ), so I applied a technique that I read on-line, I shook up all the bottles and got the yeast stirred up, which hopefully will make some more carbonation. That seemed to help some, but not a lot. I think I'll go check that with another bottle right now...