Monday, July 22, 2019

Batch 227, Pale Ale

Just a pale ale, nothing special, but it'll be beer!

10 gallon batch

22 lb 2-row
1.5 lb white wheat
1.0 lb biscuit

Mashed at 148F, pH at 5.2.

2 oz Chinook, 60 min
2 oz Cascade, 30 min
2 tsp Irish Moss, 15 min
2 oz Cascade, flameout
2 oz Centennial, flameout

60 minute boil

London Ale III, pitch on the yeast cake from Batch 226.

Uneventful brew day, although it was hot! Nothing but a swim suit and flipflops.

OG: 1.055, 1.060 actual
FG: 1.014
SRM: 5.2
IBU: 60
ABV: 5.5%

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Batch 226, Mosaic IPA

I still have a lot of Mosaic hops that were given to me 2 years ago. They've been in the freezer the whole time, and still look and smell good, so I thought I'd make a real hoppy beer to use most of them up. As it turns out, I still have over a pound left.

10 gallon batch

25 lb 2-row
2 lb biscuit
1.5 lb white wheat
2 oz chocolate malt

Mashed at 152F

2.5 oz Mosaic, FWH
3 oz Mosaic, 60 min
3 oz Mosaic, 30 min
5 oz Mosaic, flameout

Wyeast 1318, London Ale III

OG: 1.066 target and actual
FG: 1.017
SRM: 7.9
IBU: 134
ABV: 6.7

22 July 2019: transferred off of the yeast cake to secondary fermenter, added 2 oz Mosaic for dry hopping.

Batch 225, Panama Red

The last batch of Panama Red was a huge disappointment, somehow it came out sour. I tried to drink it, I really did, but I ended up dumping it. My notes say that I made a starter from yeast from last August, my guess is that yeast had an infection that soured the beer, even though the starter looked good. I am woefully behind on brewing and have 2 empty taps and 3 more that are close to empty, so I brewed 2 batches today.

10 gallon batch

The usual grain bill:
22.25 lb 2-row
1.5 lb crystal 60
1.5 lb white wheat
4 oz chocolate malt

Mashed at 154F, adjusted pH to 5.27.

The usual hops bill and 90 minute boil:
2 oz Mt Hood, FWH
2 oz Centennial, 60 min
2 oz Cascade, 30 min
2 oz Cascade, 5 min
2 oz Mt Hood, 5 min

Brand new, right out of 2 smack packs, Wyeast 1272, American Ale II.

OG: 1.066 actual (target was 1.063)
FG: 1.016
SRM: 11.8
IBU: 66
ABV: 6.4

Easy brew day, but damn, it was hot today. I probably lost 10 lb in sweat.

22 July 2019: kegged, added gelatin to the keg for clarity. Seem to be a little short, only got about 9 gallons in the kegs.

Monday, July 8, 2019

SS Braid update

Just over 8 years ago I updated my stainless steel braids. The old ones looked really ragged. I'm still using my updated braids, they still work perfectly to screen out hops and trub.

Here is a shot of the old and new:

And a shot of the new ones back then:

And a shot of them now:

Not as shiny, but still working perfectly and they still look good!