Monday, January 21, 2013

Batch 133, Oktoberfest

It seems a little early to brew an Oktoberfest, but I'm still drinking last year's batch because it wasn't ready until late November. This year I went with an entirely different recipe. I have yet to figure out a decent Oktoberfest. Crossing my fingers!

10 gallon batch

16 lbs Munich
10 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs crystal 60

Single infusion mash at 154F for 60 minutes.

1 oz Magnum, 60 minutes
2 oz Magnum, 5 minutes
1 oz Magnum, flame out

Wyeast 2124, Bohemian Lager yeast. Yeah, that's not right, but I had it on hand and it needed used. It'll will make beer, regardless.

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.015
SRM: 17
IBU: 26
ABV: 6.0%

SRM is a little dark for the style. I almost left out the 2-row and went with just Munich, but thought that was a little much. 

6 comments:

  1. Measured FG at 1.020, correcting by -0.006 for 50F, gives 1.014, so fermentation is done. Pulled the buckets out of the freezer and set them on the concrete floor to raise temp to 65F for diacetyl rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I'm out of beer, I went ahead and put a keg of this on tap. The clarity is perfect, the color is good. The flavor seems a little unusual for an Oktoberfest. I'm not sure what words to use to describe the flavor, but I'm sure it's the hoops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Notes for next time:
    Color should be slightly lighter, aim for about 10 to 12.
    Use magnum for bittering, hallertau for flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And add some wheat, head retention could be better.

      Delete
  4. I entered this in a club competition and got first place. My score was 36, which is respectable, but not great. I got some good comments from Jeremy and Steve P, suggestions are larger yeast pitch and better carbonation. I filled the bottle straight from the tap, so I'm sure that's the problem with the carbonation. Frankly, I was surprised the score was that high, I thought it presents well (good clarity, color, nice head) but I think the hops put it off. My notes aren't detailed about the yeast, but I'm pretty sure I pitched about 2 cups of slurry from batch 129 into each fermenter. I don't see any note about oxygenation, so I may not have had an oxygen bottle at the time.

    ReplyDelete