Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Batch 207, Oktoberfest

This is the second batch that was supposed to happen yesterday. I checked the gap on my grain mill, it was a little large, so I tightened it down to 0.038". That made a much finer crush and a thick mash, plus I got the OG that I'd planned for. All fans ran all day, no CO problems!

10 gallon batch.

11.5 lb pilsner
8 lb munich
7 lb vienna
1 lb caramunich

Usually I add wheat, but I'm out, so I used a little extra pilsner (1.5 lb) to compensate. Mashed at 148F, which is what I was aiming for. Adjusted pH to 5.3, recirc 10 minutes each sparge, collected 12.5 gallons in the boil kettle. The caramunich is new to this recipe, usually I use crystal 60, but I wanted to cut down on the sweetness a bit. I'll go back to the crystal 60 if this isn't as good as last year.

1.25 magnum, 60 minutes
2 tsp Irish Moss, 15 minutes
2 3/8 oz Mt Hood, 5 minutes
1 1/8 oz Hallertau, 5 minutes (pellets)

90 minute boil. I thought I had enough Mt. Hood for the full 3.5 oz at 5 minutes, but no, so I used some Hallertau to make up the difference.

Same mix of Bohemian lager yeast and Oktoberfest yeast as I used in the Leeser batch yesterday.

OG: 1.060 actual, Brewtarget calculated 1.059, so I'm happy with that.

Update, Nov 17, 2017, added some notes that pertain to this batch in the Leeser batch. And this completes brewing for this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment