|Recipe||Cascade Red||Style||American Amber Ale|
|Recipe Gravity||1.059 OG||Estimated FG||1.015 FG|
|Recipe Bitterness||67 IBU||Alcohol by Volume||5.9%|
|Recipe Color||15� SRM||Alcohol by Weight||4.6%|
|10.00 lb||Canadian two-row||mashed|
|0.75 lb||Crystal 80L||mashed|
|0.25 lb||American chocolate malt||mashed|
|2.00 oz||Cascade||whole||5 minutes|
|1.00 oz||Cascade||whole||10 minutes|
|0.50 oz||Nugget||whole||60 minutes|
|0.25 oz||Perle||whole||30 minutes|
|1.00 oz||Mt. Hood||whole||90 minutes|
|1.00 unit||American Ale yeast, Wyeast 1272||Harvested from batch 33, Denny's Rye IPA, 1 qt slurry|
I made up this recipe myself. I am going for something similar to Rogue's St. Rogue Red, a dark red, very hoppy beer. The BCJP guidelines say IBU can be 40+ and list St. Rogue Red as a commercial example. Now St. Rogue lists its IBU's at 44, and I've gone way above that, but the dry hopped version available at their brewpubs is very strong on hop flavor. I started with the 'Cascade' recipe that I've made several of, darkened it up a bit, and added more (lots more!) hops.
Brewed on May 25, 2006. The Mt. Hood hops listed at 90 minutes is actually FWH (first wort hops, that is, the hops were added to the bottom of the boil kettle before the wort was run in from the mash tun.)
Actual OG: 1.056
I thought I was off on my volumes. I'd ran off 7 gallons of wort, and figured for a 90 minute boil to be right at 5 gallons. After 90 minutes I was still at 6.5 gallons. I considered boiling longer, but thought that would ruin my hop schedule. So I drained it out anyway, and came up short by half a gallon (what the...?!) Some simple math says that the 4.75 ounces of hops were holding at least half a gallon of wort, and that they had expanded to about 1.5 gallons in volume. Something to keep in mind for future batches. I strained out an additional half gallon from the hops, so volume was right on and OG was very close to target.
Racked to secondary on June 11, so 17 days in primary. Gravity seems a bit low, I got 1.010. Looked very nice coming out of primary, a very clear beer (so far). I added some gelatin to the secondary as I've been having clarity issues. Palmer says there are 3 reasons:
1) chill haze, caused by insufficient cold break. I'm using a CFC, so I don't think that is the issue.
2) yeast. Maybe, but I've used 2 different varieties, and this particular strain is supposed to be highly flocculant.
3) incomplete conversion. Maybe. I've had some trouble keeping mash temps constant.
I'm planning to keg this on June 17.
This is the original, and now semi-famous "Panama Red" recipe. It will go through several iterations, but is still perhaps my favorite beer ever.