Saturday, September 14, 2013

Batch 144, ESB

ESB, seems to me it's just a British take on an American Pale Ale. Yeah, I'm sure it happened that way. :)

10 gallon batch.

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014
IBU: 41
SRM: 13
ABV: 5.4%

19.0 lbs 2-row
1.0 lbs Vienna
1.0 lbs Wheat
1.0 lbs Victory
10 oz Biscuit
3 oz Crystal 120
0.5 lbs Special B

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes. This was the first batch I'd had my shiny new pH meter. The mash was at 5.9, added about 1 tsp of lactic acid to get it to 5.25 - 5.3. Mashed thick, 1 qt/lb = 6 gallons. Batch sparge, collected 13.5 gallons.

Hops additions:
0.5 oz Delta at FWH, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, and 10 minutes.
0.75 oz Delta, 5 minutes
1.0 oz Delta, flame out

Homebrew Stuff was short on yeast, I'd wanted to do Wyeast 1318, London Ale III in this, but they only had one packet, and only one packet of Wyeast 1968, London ESB, so I bought them both. Since I ferment in 5 gallon buckets, I put one in each. It'll be interesting to see if there is any significant difference in flavor. Also ran oxygen 60 seconds in each fermenter before pitching. I set my fermentation freezer to 68F as that is mid-range for both of these yeasts.

Oct 5, 2013, kegged, FG 1.012

No comments:

Post a Comment