Thursday, October 22, 2015

Batch 178, Pale Ale

Another 'kitchen sink' style beer, I had a little of this grain and that grain that I really didn't have a specific use for, so I made up this pale ale recipe on the spot.

10 gallon batch

12 lbs 2-row
5 lb Munich
2.5 lbs Biscuit
2 lbs Crystal 10
2 lb Wheat
1.5 lb Aromatic

Mash in with 8 gallons to get 156F, adjusted pH to 5.19. Temperature dropped to 152F by the end of the mash, not too bad. It sure smelled good. Single batch sparge to collect 13 gallons in the boil kettle.

2 oz Mt Hood, 6.4% AA, FWH
2 oz Galena, 14.1% AA, 60 minutes
4 oz Cascade, 7.1% AA, 5 minutes
1 tsp Irish Moss, 15 minutes

Wyeast 1272 from batch 175, made a nice starter, probably had a quart to pitch.

Actual OG: 1.062 -- I probably need to adjust the efficiency in my brew software, just playing with the numbers shows I probably hit around 84% efficiency rather than the 70% I have set in the software.

The rest of the numbers from BrewTarget, adjusted to 84%, are
ABV: 6.0
SRM: 10.2
IBU: 55.8

This has nothing to do with brewing, but it's late October and our petunia pots are still looking pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.