Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Batch 225, Panama Red

The last batch of Panama Red was a huge disappointment, somehow it came out sour. I tried to drink it, I really did, but I ended up dumping it. My notes say that I made a starter from yeast from last August, my guess is that yeast had an infection that soured the beer, even though the starter looked good. I am woefully behind on brewing and have 2 empty taps and 3 more that are close to empty, so I brewed 2 batches today.

10 gallon batch

The usual grain bill:
22.25 lb 2-row
1.5 lb crystal 60
1.5 lb white wheat
4 oz chocolate malt

Mashed at 154F, adjusted pH to 5.27.

The usual hops bill and 90 minute boil:
2 oz Mt Hood, FWH
2 oz Centennial, 60 min
2 oz Cascade, 30 min
2 oz Cascade, 5 min
2 oz Mt Hood, 5 min

Brand new, right out of 2 smack packs, Wyeast 1272, American Ale II.

OG: 1.066 actual (target was 1.063)
FG: 1.016
SRM: 11.8
IBU: 66
ABV: 6.4

Easy brew day, but damn, it was hot today. I probably lost 10 lb in sweat.

22 July 2019: kegged, added gelatin to the keg for clarity. Seem to be a little short, only got about 9 gallons in the kegs.

No comments:

Post a Comment