Sunday, December 13, 2015

Batch 182, Oktoberfest

This was a really popular beer this fall, so by popular demand, I'm making another. This is slightly different than last time, but should be pretty close. I'd used most of the pilsner malt that I had yesterday and didn't realize I was completely out of Munich, so I substituted 2-row.

10 gallon batch

2.75 lb pilsner
10 lb Vienna
1.5 lb wheat
1 lb Crystal 60
12.25 lb 2-row

Single infusion mash at 152F. The mash actually started at about 140F and I discovered the thermometer I'd been using for the mash water was off by 10 degrees. It's in the trash now and I've ordered a couple of new ones. I got some more water heated up and added about 25 minutes later to get the temp to 152F.

90 minute boil:
1.25 Magnum at 60 min
2 tsp Irish Moss at 15 min
3.5 oz Mt Hood at 5 min

I need to check on the yeast, I'll update this tomorrow. I have a can of a new kind of yeast from Portland, I think it's the Oktoberfest yeast from Imperial Yeast, but I don't see that on the website and it's raining and cold outside and I have on flip flops, so I don't want to go back out to the beer shed to check. I'm planning to pitch it tomorrow when the temp of the wort is right.







April 29, this beer came out fine, so I put it on tap today. I left it on the yeast for 4 months total. It wasn't done when we left for warmer climates, so I turned the temp on the freezer down to 45F and hoped for the best. This turned out fine, the Leeser from batch 182 didn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment